Saturday 5 July 2008

To Clay Shirky

I don't know whether this is a tiny example of what you are on about but it certainly amazes me.  Two or three months ago I go to a presentation about how social neworking on the net can help business and the guy mentions Twitter and the work of Hugh MacLeod.  I should mention that this happened in Bradford, a former textile city in the north of England, near where I live.  So there's thousands of miles between us all here.

I have formerly never heard of Hugh MacLeod and he certainly has not heard of me (to my knowledge still hasn't).  So I set up a Twitter account of my own and followed his twitters and even became concerned when he stopped twittering for a while - he had mentioned that his dad was ill and I thought something terrible might have happened.  Anyway, one day he mentions you and your book.  So I begin following you twittering and I buy the book.  It arrived today, I've read the first chapter now and enjoyed it immensely.

Not too many years ago, none of this could have happened.  As you say - a social revolution.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You live in Bradford! I had heard of it. But you probably haven't heard of where I live - Olney! . . .

good post